Saturday, April 23, 2016

Not according to plan

Today was the first time this season I got to ride outside (woohoo!).
It wasn't according to plan, at all.
Here is how it was suppose to go. Ride from my house and meet Kate and Denise for a couple 32 mile loops.
Started off good. Rode just fine over to Kate's house. Took off on time. 9.5 miles in first problem.
I hit a rock that punctured not only my tube but my tire. Dam!
With some quick SAG support (Thanks Dave). I was wisked home where I promptly headed to Zion Cyclery where I got the tire and tube fixed.
I was back on the rode (on my bike) within an hour. Now to make up some time. Texted Kate to let her know I was back and heading out again.
I headed south towards the southern end of the 32 mile loop.  Felt good. Legs felt strong, butt was not hurting, nutrition was holding. Mile 8 brought be out to the freeway and frontage road. I paused shortly to check in with the other two. Took off again heading north. When I reached the end of the frontage road at Hwy C I notice my milage was off. I didn't restart my Garmin. CRAP!
Feeling frustrated, I peddled on. Heading towards Hwy H. Facing the wind I got down in aero and pushed on. Cadence was low and legs started to burn. Double Crap!
Headed down Hwy H until I reached the RecPlex. Stupid railroad tracks. Continued south until I reach ML (122nd). Paused again to text Kate and find out where they were. They were on the other side of our course heading away from me. Ok. Re-route.
I headed north to the east side of ML (Springbrook). Followed that back to Green Bay Road. Crossed and headed north on the frontage road (bad idea, that road sucks). Traffic around the outlet mall sucked. Continued on the frontage road until I reached 95th. Followed 95th to 93rd and cruised with the downhill and wind not fighting me.
Took 93rd to the bike path and headed south. Smooth sailing. Felt good to let the legs do the work and push a bit harder.
Met back up with Kate and Denise just after getting off the bike path.
We headed back to Kate's house to regroup and determine the next portion of the ride.
Denise had only a few miles left to go. I on the other hand had many to make up yet.
Kate and I took off again heading west to meet up with 47th then north to 116th. I chose to head towards the lake. As we cruised down 116th I noticed for the 2nd time I forgot to restart my Garmin. CRAP!!
Lesson learned, leave the dam thing running when you stop.
Kate turned around at about 90th and Lakeshore. I continued north.
Without anyone to keep me going I realized how tired I was. A few miles down the road my legs started to feel like lead, the shoulders were getting tight, and I started yawning.
Yawning, really. WTF.
I reached downtown and my body and mind were becoming my own enemy. Ok. Regroup Liz and get your shit together. You are no where close to being done.
I paused at the harbor to stretch, hydrate, and eat.  Back in the saddle.
Continued north all the way to Carthage. Turn around point. HORRAY!
Time to head home. Finally.
Following the path back home mostly in aero position this time with the wind at my back I felt better.
By the time I reached home, I hurt. My legs were sore and my shoulders felt like knots were in them.
Water bottles were empty and food was gone.
Lessons learned:
1. DON'T stop the dam watch!
2. I need to push my cadence back up while outside. I can hold it on the trainer.
3. Nutrition worked for the most part. I kept Nuun in my torpedo bottle and Infinit in the cage bottles. One Larabar and one gu.
4. New bib riding shorts worked well!


Next weekend will be a longer outdoor ride (weather permitting) and the final long run for the Wisconsin Half Marathon.

Happy Training!
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment