Saturday, April 2, 2016

March - In like a lamb, out like a lion indeed

So the third month into training brought big challenges, new discoveries, and a wake up call.
Let me explain...

Since I started this journey back in January I have had saddle issues. Not only was I chafing, but I was terribly uncomfortable in the saddle.
Two bike fittings later, things are getting better. My last ride (on the trainer) for March I didn't have as much discomfort (in my ass), but still struggled with foot pain. Most of that was due to my neroma I have in my left foot.
So, the changes that have been made to my bike are as follows:
~Aerobars were raised and tilted up
~Saddle was lowered
~Spacer was put in my right peddle
~Clips on my bike shoes were changed to a new position.
~Saddle was tilted back slightly
~Shoe inserts were added to my bike shoes
~Saddle has been changed 3 times (hoping this one will work)
~New puncture resistant tires were added

The things I learned about my body geometry while on the bike:
~Originally my hips were reaching outside my saddle (seat was to wide), which caused the chafing
~My aerobars were to far forward causing me to reach and use my shoulders and upper body more than needed.
~My saddle position works best if tilted up (nose of the saddle is up).
~My knees flare out when I ride. This can be corrected by just focusing on keeping the knees in when I ride.
~My sit bones (bottom part of the pelvic bone) are very predominate.
With the changes that were made, cycling should be a bit easier (key word is should).

MARCH TOTALS
Running - 40.23 miles
Cycling (all trainer miles) - 144.44 miles
Swimming - 11.75 miles (20680yds)

MARCH ACCOMPLISHMENTS
2.4 miles in the pool (4250 yds)! BAM! that happened!
I did have to get out of the pool twice (once to use the bathroom, the other to fix my contact). 
As coach said, it can only get better from there!

APRIL GOALS
Bike, bike, bike, bike...
Did I mention I need to focus on my bike?
After a slow start to the bike portion of my training, I need to concentrate more on this portion. The distances are not getting any shorter and the itch to get outside and ride is getting stronger.

Also on the books for April is getting the nutrition under control while on the bike.
I do not want a repeat of last years 70.3 (body was done at mile 40 on the bike).

THANKS!
I wanted to take a minute and thank everyone who has commented to me about reading this blog. I know I have inspired a few and challenged others. Please keep those comments coming.

Happy training!
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment