Sunday, May 1, 2016

134 days and counting...

April DONE!
May, LETS DO THIS!

April totals:
Run - 46.31 miles (increase from March)
Bike - 125.07 miles (decrease from March)
Swim - 11.18 miles, 19676.8 yds (decrease from March)

Why the decreases?
Bike - It wasn't until a few weeks ago I was still struggling with pain when I rode.
Now, pain is minimal and endurance is building.
I had to reschedule my foot appoint due to work, but my first outside ride (see previous post) went very well (aside from minor set back).
I hope to play a bit of catch up in May.

Swim - I have been working on more drills and speed. I went back to basics with some of my swims. Why? Well, I have kind of cheating when I swim. I have been using my Lavaman pants. Why? My legs sink. When I swim without them, it feels like my legs drop and I am swimming vertically. Back to the sinking monkey. So, towards the end of April I dusted off a few of my swim tools and started focusing on basics again. As coach says, train heavy race light.
I did have a swim success in April. Another 2.4 miler in the pool brought a 4 min PR! 1:29:00.

What is in store for May?
Glad you asked.
First up is my 2nd half marathon of the year. The Wisconsin Marathon/Half Marathon on May 7th.
This will be the 7th time running this event. Last year I finished in 2:18:47. My goal for May 7th, anything better than 2:18:47. My original goal was a 2:10 or a sub 2. I re-vamped that goal realizing if I push to hard now, I might not recover enough for the 70.3 in July which could lead to problems for 140.6 in Sept. Not going to risk it.
The only other planned event is the Chocolate City Bike ride on May 15th. I will take on the 62 mile course again. I was suppose to ride last year, but weather kept me home.
Memorial day weekend I make the trip to Madison to ride the bike course with the Tri WI riders. I plan on taking on the 70+ miles of the IMWI course.
On the training calendar, I have another 2.4 later in the month (this will be the 3rd time) and OWS start!! YAY!
Bike wise I will top out at about 80miles for my longest ride and running turns more into speed and tempo runs with a few long runs (longest will be 10 miles).

My base has been built. Now comes the endurance building. Fine tuning will come soon.
I am looking forward to new challenges, new PRs, and being outside for swims and rides (weather permitting).

Thank you
Over the past few weeks I have received several comments on how inspiring, motivating, encouraging, determined, and focused I am.
I love hearing that I have inspired another athlete to take on a triathlon or start running. I love knowing that doing what I do motivates others to be active. I am humbled by your own stories of starting a new adventure.
I don't do these events for anyone but me. To push myself outside that comfort zone and know I can do it (even when my mind says no).
Please continue sharing your own adventures with me. They motivate me just as much as I motivate and encourage all of you!

Happy training
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment