Friday, January 29, 2016

Where this all started...


The year of 2015 brought me the biggest endurance challenge of my life!
Racine 70.3 Half Ironman


Getting there meant changes, challenges, and new friends!
My first big challenge was to get over my open water fear. Pool time increased the endurance, but the fear still kept taking hold.
How did I get over it?
Simple. Get in the water and swim! over and over again. Wet suit, no wet suit, Lake Andrea or Lake Michigan, it didn't matter. SWIM!
It helped to have a few friends with me and my coach out there giving me a push from time to time.
After 6 months of training, I hoped it would come natural.
The bike and the run portions of the event came down to straight time in the saddle and getting the legs use to the bike/run transition.
Again, long bike rides with friends made the miles go by quicker.
Long runs tided into both half marathon and marathon training programs (during the 6 months of 70.3 training I completed 4 half marathons).
Race day came quick!
Was I ready? Can I do this? Do I have what it takes? Will I know anyone cheering me on?
Answer to all of those, YES!
Here is my 70.3 breakdown:
Swim (1.2 miles): 47:52
T1: 6:13
Bike (56 miles): 3:38:18 (included changing a flat tire on back tire)
T2: 11:04 (had to go back into transition to get my bib)
Run (13.1 miles): 3:02:50

Fast forward to September where I volunteer at Ironman Wisconsin for the 3rd time (2nd time in the bike penalty tent). Knowing several of the athletes participating this year changed my few of the event. I became MORE inspired, MORE motivated, MORE determined that I WILL become and Ironman.
After volunteering, I made the commitment. 2016 WILL be the year I become an Ironman!

No comments:

Post a Comment